Monday, February 27, 2012

My First Homemade Yogurt


So, one of the things I am trying to eat more of is yogurt.  There is very little of it that I actually like from the grocery store... correction make that none, but I do like Atlanta Fresh yogurt.  The only problem with that is that in addition to being quite expensive, it is also largely unavailable without a pretty long drive from where I live.  So, while there is yogurt I like at grocery stores, there is none I like at the grocery store in my town. Making yogurt is something I have wanted to try for a long time to try to get better tasting yogurt that is readily available and less expensive, and I also have this crazy DIY need to try to make things that other people buy ready made. So, when I saw this recipe for making yogurt in the crock pot on Pinterest, I knew I had to try it.  The original recipe can be found at the wonderful blog The Girls Guide to Guns and Butter.  I changed the recipe a bit to use homogenized organic one percent milk.  I am trying to stay pretty low fat and raw milk is not available here legally.  I wish it had been a bit thicker, but I think the lower fat prevented that.  The best part is that I loved the taste!  Now I can have really good yogurt without having to travel out of my small town!  And, it is a much better price.




Low Fat Crock Pot Yogurt
Source:  The Girls Guide to Guns and Butter

1/2 gallon organic 1% milk
2 Tbsp. purchased plain yogurt, preferable organic (You only have to buy this the first time.  After that, you can just save out 2 Tbsps. of the yogurt you have already made for the next batch.

Heat the milk on low in the crock pot for 2 1/2 to 3 hours or until it registers between 180 and 190 degrees.  Turn the crock pot off and let cool for about 3 hours or until it has cooled to 110 degrees.  Remove 1 cup of the milk and stir the purchased yogurt into it.  Pour the milk/yogurt mixture back into the crock pot and stir with a wisk until it is completely combined.  Wrap the crock pot in a towel and put it in your oven with the light on (DO NOT TURN THE OVEN ON) for about 8 hours.  When you remove it from the oven, there may be a bit of water on top.  Just pour it off.  Store in an air tight container in the refrigerator for about 1 week.  Note that the warm yogurt before refrigeration is really good, so you should have some.  I am going to experiment around and see if I can get it a bit thick.  If I succeed, I will edit this post to show it.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

From Calculu∫ to Cupcake∫: My First Homemade Yogurt

This page has moved to a new address.

My First Homemade Yogurt