Sunday, September 2, 2012

Saying Farewell to Summer with Barbecue

 

First, let me say that this post is about sauce instead of meat.  The ribs you see here were smoked by my husband and were absolutely wonderful, but I really have no idea how he did that.  But, I did make one of the sauces and know what he did to make the other, so that is what I am posting about.  We actually made this meal a while back, but I saved the post for a holiday that is frequently celebrated with barbecue, so Labor Day weekend seemed perfect.

We made two different sauces for the barbecue.  The first is an Alabama tradition, white barbecue sauce.  It is usually eaten on chicken, but I wanted to try it anyway, and was very pleasantly surprised.  Despite its mayonnaise base, white barbecue sauce does have a barbecue type flavor.  I will definitely be using it again in the future! I adapted it from several different white barbecue sauce recipes.  If you are looking to try something a bit different for your Labor Day meal, it is the way to go.  The red barbecue is a Kansas City rib sauce my husband found here.  If you want to stay traditional with your Labor Day meal, this is the one you want.

Alabama White Barbecue Sauce
yield:  about 1 3/4 cups

1 cup mayonnaise (I used light.)
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
2 Tbsps. lemon juice
2 Tbsps. horseradish (plain, not sauce)
2 Tbsps. freshly ground black pepper
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper

Whisk together all ingredients until well blended.  Serve with grilled or smoke meat (especially chicken).  Store in the refrigerator for up to one week.

Kansas City Rib Sauce
yield: 2 cups

1 cup ketchup
1/3 cup water
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup light brown sugar
3 Tbsp. olive oil
2 Tbsp. Hungarian paprika
1 Tbsp. chili powder
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp. cayenne pepper

Heat oil over medium.  Saute garlic in oil just until fragrant being careful not to burn the garlic.  Stir in remaining ingredients and reduce heat to low.  Allow to cook until thickened (about 15 minutes).  Serve with grilled or smoked meat.

Source:  Slightly adapted from Derrick Riches at About.com.

This recipe was shared on Foodie Friends Friday.



2 Comments:

At September 7, 2012 at 9:09 AM , Blogger Lois Christensen said...

Wow! I have never heard of a white barbecue sauce! Looks really good! Both look good! Thanks for sharing on Foodie Friends Friday!

 
At September 8, 2012 at 7:48 AM , Blogger Cindy DG said...

I am not ready to say goodbye yet LOL I love the idea of white BBQ sauce! My name is Cindy and I blog over at Vegetarianmamma.com I wanted to invite you to link up your recipe at our Gluten Free Fridays Recipe Link up party! It happens every Friday and we'd love to have you join us with some of your awesome recipes! You can find this week's link up here: http://vegetarianmamma.com/glutenfree-fridays-recipe-party-4/
Also be sure to link up your blog on our Gluten Free Bloggers directory. You can reach the directory by clicking the "glutenfree bloggers" tab on our blog! Thanks, Cindy :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

From Calculu∫ to Cupcake∫: Saying Farewell to Summer with Barbecue

This page has moved to a new address.

Saying Farewell to Summer with Barbecue