Sunday, August 26, 2012

Another try for the best chocolate chip cookies



These are really, really good.  My son says they are the best he has eaten, but then he is only fifteen.  They are the best I have made, but I think they are not quite perfect for me.  They are really, really close, but eventually you are going to find another recipe here that I at least think I have improved.  Of course, what is perfect is very subjective, so they might be perfect to you.  I have tried all the "perfect" chocolate chip cookie recipes I can find and none of them are so I am coming up with my own.  I used this recipe from last time as a jumping off point.  They are really good too, they just taste a bit short bready, which is good, just not what I am aiming for.  For these, I browned the butter, added a little more egg, and used dark brown sugar.  This definitely made them richer and got rid of the short breadiness, but somehow they I think the cornstarch takes away from the dark brown sugar - makes it seem less dark, or something.  I don't know, but I will tweak it again and share it, but in the mean time, these are really thick and chewy, and I am having trouble staying out of them, so they just might be your favorites because they are really close for me.




Chocolate Chip Cookies
yeild:  about 45 cookies

1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) salted butter
1 1/2 cups dark brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
3 eggs
4 tsp. vanilla extract
4 cups all purpose flour
4 tsps. cornstarch
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips

In a large sauce pan, heat butter over medium until browned. Pour butter into a bowl and refrigerate until semi solid.  

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Line two large baking sheets with parchment.  Whisk together flour, cornstarch, baking soda, and salt.  Set aside.  In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream together browned butter and sugars until light and fluffy.  Add eggs and vanilla and mix until well combined.  Stir in chocolate chips.  Using a cookie scoop, drop overstuffed cookie scoops full onto prepared pan.   Bake for approximately 10 minutes or until the edges just begin to turn golden.  Cool before eating.

Source:  Adapted from Best-Ever Chocolate Chip Cookies by Kelsey at Apple a Day  via Pinetrest who adapted  this recipe by Anna Olsen from Food Network Canada.

This recipe was shared on Foodie Friends Friday.






5 Comments:

At August 26, 2012 at 1:12 PM , Blogger April said...

I happen to think mine are perfect, but that's just me. And Cooks Illustrated gets most of the credit :) It all depends on what you're going for!

 
At August 26, 2012 at 1:20 PM , Blogger From Calculus to Cupcakes said...

Hi April. Thanks for your comment. I have tried the Cooks Illustrated recipe and didn't think it was quite right either. Maybe I'm just too picky, lol. Anyway, these come out a tad thicker than the Cooks Illustrated recipe I think. Going to try again, but it may be a few weeks because I have other things to make.

 
At August 27, 2012 at 8:19 AM , Blogger Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

I'm sure you've tried Jacques Torres' recipe...that's the one my family adores (besides Nestles Tollhouse)...mainly because they are huge :)

 
At August 27, 2012 at 11:36 PM , Blogger April said...

When I make it I let the butter cool all the way down till it is practically solid again. I think that helps them not spread out and get thin. And their method of splitting the balls of dough and sticking them back together is just plain silly!! Did you try the "thick and chewy" version?

 
At August 31, 2012 at 7:00 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I am not a big chocolate chip cookie lover, but these sound really good.

Thanks so much for linking up to Foodie Friends Friday! Hope you join us next week.

Cynthia at http://FeedingBig.blogspot.com

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

From Calculu∫ to Cupcake∫: Another try for the best chocolate chip cookies

This page has moved to a new address.

Another try for the best chocolate chip cookies