Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Healthier Chicken Salad, School Lunches, Lunch Boxes, Etc.



School is back in session and for me that means school lunches - not for kids, but for me.  School lunches are always a conundrum for me.  I mean, I am always trying to eat healthy or at least I don't want to waste my calories on lunch at school, but at the same time, I don't want to be starving.  Add to that basically no refrigeration - well there is that tiny little refrigerator in the work room.  You know, like the smallest sized one you buy for a college dorm room, for one hundred sixty teachers... like I said no refrigeration.  And, there is one microwave, but there are about twenty of us that might need to use it at once.  Truthfully, only three or four use it in any given day, but with only twenty-four minutes to get to where we are eating, eat, and get back, it is easy to run out of time to eat if you use the microwave.  So, no refrigeration, no microwave, twenty-four minutes, and I want something decently healthy.  So, as I come across things that help me with this, I am going to share them with you.  

This is a chicken salad I made and stored in one of those insulated bento boxes, and it stayed pretty cold, but you could use a cold pack.  If you are interested, I have a Mr. Bento, and so far it is working great!  The chicken salad is super quick and easy to make and very low in fat and high in protein because it uses fat free Greek yogurt instead of mayonnaise.  Trust me, you won't miss the mayonnaise at all!  The garlic makes it extra tasty and the carrots and celery give it just the right amount of crunch.  The only time consuming part is cooking the chicken, but I just cooked some extra when I was cooking some for a casserole, so it really wasn't any extra work.  And, in case you don't already know this.  If you put the chicken in your stand mixer with the paddle attachment, you will have wonderfully shredded chicken as seen in the not so great photo below in about a minute.



Healthier Chicken Salad
yield:  2-4 servings depending on the size

2 cups cooked chicken, shredded
6 oz. fat free Greek yogurt
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup carrot, chopped
1/4 cup celery, chopped
salt and pepper to taste

Mix all ingredients together until well combined.   I ate it by itself, but it would be great in a sandwich too.

This recipe was shared on Foodie Friends Friday.







4 Comments:

At August 16, 2012 at 9:46 PM , Blogger Blondee said...

Love chicken salad...this sounds lovely!

 
At August 16, 2012 at 10:52 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Mmmm..now Im hungry! Thanks for all you do for Foodie Friends Friday ;) Looks sooo good!

 
At August 17, 2012 at 11:23 AM , Blogger Mandi said...

This sounds delish! A great way to hide veggies for my son ;) Thanks for sharing!

-mandi
http://mommys-love.blogspot.com

 
At August 18, 2012 at 1:12 PM , Blogger Catherine said...

What a beautiful, light and delicious salad. This is perfect for a picnic...I love that you used Greek yogurt. You have a wonderful blog. I discovered it through the Foodie Friends Friday linkup! Please do visit soon. Blessings, Catherine

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

From Calculu∫ to Cupcake∫: Healthier Chicken Salad, School Lunches, Lunch Boxes, Etc.

This page has moved to a new address.

Healthier Chicken Salad, School Lunches, Lunch Boxes, Etc.