Saturday, June 30, 2012

Watermelon "Cake" for the Fourth of July


I don't know how the weather is where you are, but it has really been too hot to bake around here with several days over 100 degrees.  And, with all the fresh fruit available, this just seemed like a great idea.  Plus, it is red, white, blue, and with the Fourth of July just a few days away, it is the perfect recipe.  And, it is really low calorie.  Really, it is nothing more than the creative cutting of a watermelon frosted with a whipped topping, yogurt combination and decorated with berries.  But, the best part is that it is so good.  I had no idea that a little yogurt and whipped topping could make watermelon taste like a real dessert, but it really does.  I had seconds, and watermelon is not my favorite fruit. 

I adapted my recipe from this one I found on Pinterest.  It is made by and uses Mountain High Yoghurt, which is not available in the southeast, so I had no choice but to modify the recipe some, and I did a little more.  My husband helped me out by doing the cutting.  I frosted it and decorated it.  And, me and my husband and son ate it.  Keep in mind, you probably need to be prepared to eat the whole thing or close to it, because the yogurt is going to get wet pretty fast - or at least I think it will.  It still looked good four a couple of hours after I made it before my son finished it, but definitely refrigerate any leftovers.


Watermelon Cake
yield: 8 servings

1 medium sized watermelon 
2 cups fat free Greek yogurt
1 8oz. container frozen whipped topping, thawed (I used sugar free.)
1 tsp. vanilla
strawberries and blueberries for garnish
extra sweetener of choice, if desired, for the yogurt

Cut the two ends off of the watermelon.  Remove rind by slicing it off vertically. Turn the watermelon over on its side and slice it into 1 to 2 inch layers.  You will have more layers than the three you want to make the cake out of, so just chop those up and store them in the refrigerator for snacking.  Pick the three most uniform layers to work with.  Use a 6 inch cake pan as a guide to trimming the layers into even rounds.  Stir the vanilla and any extra sweetener into the yogurt.  Fold in the whipped topping.  Frost the cake between layers, and on top and sides with the whipped topping mixture.  Decorate with berries.  Serve immediately.


My husband slicing off the rind.

And, slicing the layers
Now to make them all the same size.  
The finished cake








7 Comments:

At July 1, 2012 at 4:26 PM , Blogger Debra Gray-Elliott said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At July 4, 2012 at 7:49 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

This is something I have never seen before, it looks delicious, what a great idea, and perfect for those days that are way to hot to even think about turning on that oven.

 
At July 5, 2012 at 11:19 PM , Anonymous Cindys Recipes said...

So pretty!

 
At July 6, 2012 at 1:11 AM , Blogger Lindsey said...

What a great idea!! I will definitely be trying this!!

 
At July 6, 2012 at 9:04 AM , Blogger Winnie said...

This is a genius idea !!
How creative of you, and the result is SUPERB

 
At July 6, 2012 at 4:16 PM , Anonymous Amanda Bowyer said...

What a great idea!!

 
At July 13, 2012 at 4:48 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please please please add a print button to your posts!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

From Calculu∫ to Cupcake∫: Watermelon "Cake" for the Fourth of July

This page has moved to a new address.

Watermelon "Cake" for the Fourth of July